Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sander "Holding Pen"

Recently, I was working on a project that required a lot of sanding. I quickly became annoyed at having to turn off the sander and wait for it to stop vibrating before I could set it down.
So I created a small platform, a sort of "holding pen," for my sander to sit in while it stops vibrating. It's just a piece of hardboard with a few small strips of wood glued to the top to create the "holding pen." A piece of carpet is glued down to the hardboard.
The platform just sits on top of my workbench (you can clamp it to the workbench if you want). When I want to set my sander down, I just place it in the carpeted area--I don't even have to turn it off.
The carpet absorbs the vibrations of the sander and keeps it from jumping off the bench. But there's another benefit as well. The fibers of the carpet actually help clean dust and debris off the sandpaper.

You can get shop tips like this delivered to your computer each week from the editors of Woodsmith magazine. Here's the sign-up.

No comments: